The Xiaomi Redmi 5 is one of the latest smartphones in the Redmi Series. Launched in December 2017, this mobile phone reeks of an attractive design and build while showing off some interesting features, such as an octa-core Qualcomm processor, a huge 18:9 aspect ratio display, and a fingerprint scanner. Xiaomi redmi 5 is available in two variants.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 Main Specs & Features
- 5.7-inch IPS Display, 720 x 1440 pixels (282 ppi)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 Octa-core CPU with 2GB / 3GB RAM
- Android 7.1.2 (Nougat), MIUI 9.1
- 16GB / 32GB built-in Storage, supports up to 128GB microSD card
- 12MP Rear Camera and 5MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE Data
- Fingerprint Scanner (Rear)
- 3300 mAh Li-Po Battery (Non-removable)
Design and Display
This low mid-ranger sports a solid build and design with an all metal chassis. The body color comes in gold, rose gold, black or light blue finish. Just 7.7 millimetres thick, the Xiaomi Redmi 5 is svelte and you won’t be reluctant to flaunt this beauty before friends.
The Xiaomi Redmi 5 packs a massive 5.7-inch diagonal screen display that certainly offers enough space for content viewing. It has an HD+ resolution of 1440 x 720 pixels. With an 18:9 aspect ratio, this certainly is a nice phone for watching movies with family and friends. The screen is protected by Gorilla Corning Glass on top of the screen.
Camera and Storage
You can look forward to taking high quality share worthy shots from the Xiaomi Redmi 5. On the rear, it rocks a 12MP camera with f/2.2 aperture, phase detection autofocus and LED flash. There is a 5MP shooter on the front for selfies. Both cameras record Full HD (1080p) videos.
The Internal storage capacity of this device is either 16 GB or 32 GB, depending on the variant. This is not really bad, since there is room for expansion by another 128 GB through a dedicated microSD card slot.
Processor and OS
Xiaomi Redmi 5 is expected to have an Impressive performance due to the fact that it comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 chipset. This octa-core processor runs at speeds up to 1.8 GHz and pairs with an Adreno 506 GPU for graphics crunching.
Enjoyable multitasking is not out of the question, with 2GB or 3GB RAM (variant dependent) available. The Xiaomi Redmi 5 boots Xiaomi’s MIUI 9 software based on Android 7.1.2 Nougat.
Other Specs and Features
As a result of the almost bezel-free design, the fingerprint scanner on this device is located on the rear. Other connectivity options on the dual-SIM Xiaomi Redmi 5 include 4G LTE, infrared port, and Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi Direct.
Providing power is a sizeable 3,300mAh Li-Po battery. There is also fast charge support to allow topping up faster. This fast charge technology depends on the charge you are charging with.
Pricing and Availability
Disclaimer: The price stated here is just an estimate, price can change anytime without prior notice.
The Xiaomi Redmi 5 is available online at Jumia Nigeria from a couple of Jumia Global third party partners. It will also be available at a couple of Jumia stores in Africa. Xiaomi Redmi 5 Price in Nigeria ranges from 56,000 Naira to 75,000 Naira and it depends on your location in the country.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 Specs And Review Summary
Here is a brief review summary of the Xiaomi Redmi 5 specification.
- 2G: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- Dimensions: 153*76.2*7.6 mm
- Weight: 150g
- SIM Type: Micro
- Number of SIMs: Dual
- Colors: Gold, Rose Gold, Black and Light Blue
- Type: IPS display
- Size: 5.7″
- Resolution: 720×1280 pixels (267 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- OS: Android 7.1.2 Nougat
- Chipset: –
- Procesor (CPU): Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 octa-core
- GPU: Adreno 506 GPU
- RAM: 2GB/3GB
- Internal: 16GB/32GB
- Card slot: Yes, Expandable by up to 128GB
- 16MP Camera, Full 1080p HD Video @30fps with Phase Detection Autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face/smile Detection, Panorama, HDR
- 5 MP Camera, 1080p HD [email protected]
SOUND / ENTERTAINMENT
- Alert types: Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Music Player:MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac/MIDI/WMA player
- Video Player: Xvid/MP4/H.264/Xvid player
- Noise cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- WLAN: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- WiFi Tethering / Hotspot: Yes
- NFC: No
- GPS: Yes
- Radio: FM radio, RDS, recording
- USB: microUSB 3.0
- Iris scanner: No
- Fingerprint scanner: Yes
- Voice recognition: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity: Yes
- Light: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Pedometer: –
- Compass: Yes
- Fingerprint: Yes
- Iris: No
- Messaging: SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM
- Browser: HTML5
- Java: No
- Maps: Yes, Google maps
- Capacity: 3,300 mAh
- Standby: –
- Talk time: –
- Quick charge: Yes
- Wireless charging: No
- USB charging: Yes
From what we have seen so far, we can say that Xiaomi Redmi 5 is a smartphone that can fit into daily life. The rumored specification released few months before it actual launching is not quite different from the actual release. All I can say right now to all Xiaomi lovers out there is Enjoy your new device – Xiaomi Redmi 5.